Have you had your meningitis jab?
Before starting university you should make sure you've already had:
- The MenACWY vaccine which protects against serious infections like meningitis.
Children ages 13-15 (year 9-10) are routinely offered the MenACWY jab in school, however, if you missed this you are still able to get this vaccine from the GP until your 25th birthday before you come to university to study.
- 2 doses of the MMR vaccines which protect you from outbreaks of mumps and measles. If you have not previously had 2 doses of the MMR vaccine, you are able to get this from your GP.
Mumps and measles symptoms:
Nearly everyone who catches measles will have a high fever, a rash and will feel generally unwell. It usually starts off with cold-like symptoms that develop around 10 days after being infected then this will be followed by the measles rash.
People who have mumps will experience a fever, headache and painful/swollen glands in the face jaw and neck.
Meningitis: The facts
- Meningitis is an infection of the meninges - the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
- Meningococcal bacteria are common and carried harmlessly in the nose or throat by about one in 10 people.
- They are passed on easily through close contact.
What are the symptoms?
- Fever, cold hands and feet
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Drowsiness, difficulty waking up
- Irritability and/or confusion
- Stiff neck
- Severe headache or muscle pains
- Pale, blotchy skin with or without a rash
- Dislike of bright lights
First-time students under 25 are eligible too so make an appointment and get protected!
For more information about Meningitis click here.
- Read Next
- UofGLiving Overnight Guest Procedure Get to know your area: Wolfson Hall Get to know your area: Student Apartments and Thurso Street Get to know your area: Cairncross House, Kelvinhaugh Gate, Kelvinhaugh Street, Kelvin Court and Maclay Residences Get to know your area: Queen Margaret, Winton Drive and Lister House Get to know your area: Murano Street Student Village and Firhill Court UofGLiving: Get to know your area What should I bring to Uni?! Financial Support Funds Clubs and societies at UofG
- Student Apartments 360 Degree Image Gallery Student Apartments Wolfson Hall 360 Degree Image Gallery Optify Internet Support Love your bike? Making a Prepayment Queen Margaret Residence 360 Degree Image Gallery Lister House 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Street 360 Degree Image Gallery UofGLiving Applicant Newsletter