Meningitis: Time to get vaccinated?
If you were born after September 1995 you should have received a MenC Vaccination as a small child.
However, that doesn't mean that you're immune to the disease. Your immunity may have decreased over time which means your risk of catching the disease is higher.
At university, you will come in contact with lots of new people so it’s important that you consider making an appointment with your GP to get vaccinated.
NHS Greater Glasgow Vaccination Clinic - 26 October 2023
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde will have a team of Vaccinators available between 9am and 4pm on Thursday 26 October 2023 at the Barclay Medical Practice (Level One of the Fraser Building) to offer immunisations to students who have not previously been vaccinated against Measles, Mumps and Rubella and Meningitis (ACWY).
Infectious diseases such as Measles, Mumps and Rubella and Meningitis can spread easily and can cause serious illness - so please consider attending for vaccination to protect yourself and others. There is no charge for this service.
Register here: https://link.webropolsurveys.com/S/648281BBCAE50CD3
- Meningitis is an infection of the meninges - the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
- Meningococcal bacteria are common and carried harmlessly in the nose or throat by about one in 10 people.
- They are passed on easily by through close contact.
What are the symptoms?
- Fever, cold hands and feet
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Drowsiness, difficult to wake up
- Irritability and/or confusion
- Stiff neck
- Severe headache or muscle pains
- Pale, blotchy skin with or without a rash
- Dislike of bright lights
First-time students under 25 are eligible too so make an appointment and get protected!
For more information about Meningitis click here.
- Read Next
- Your UofGLiving Bulletin (6 December 2023) Deck your halls with D.I.Y Christmas decorations Circuit Laundry Platform Upgrade Together Against Gender-Based Violence Student Voice - Closing the Feedback Loop Become a Peer Wellbeing Supporter Wolfson Hall Events: December QMR & Lister House Events: December Kelvinhaugh Events: December Maclay Events: December
- Registering with a doctor Student Apartments 360° Image Gallery Student Apartments Wolfson Hall 360° Image Gallery Your Optify Internet What should I bring to Uni?! E-inductions are now live! Kelvinhaugh Residences FAQs (Cairncross House, Kelvinhaugh Gate, Kelvinhaugh Street) Murano Street 360° Image Gallery Murano Street Student Village FAQs