Mental Health Resources
We've put together a list of services and resources to use if you or someone you know needs help for their mental health.
If you need immediate help
If you're worried that you, or someone you know, may be a danger to themselves or others then please seek help immediately by calling 999. You can also call the University Crisis Team in a crisis situation on 0141 330 4444, however if you require the emergency services as well you should call them first.
CaPS is a service designed to help students with mild to moderate needs to manage their mental health. They offer focused blocks of therapy, subject to assessment, and single session consultations for listening to specific issues. Their website also has links to self-help resources and other relevant mental health services.
- Book an appointment: gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/counselling/appointment
- Self-help resources: gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/counselling/self-help
- Wellbeing masterclasses: gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/counselling/wellbeing
If you live in UofG accommodation you have access to your Living Support Team, who can provide a listening ear, are trained in Mental Health First Aid, and can help signpost you to services that are relevant to you. They're on call from 6pm to 8am on weekdays, and 24 hours at weekends.
- Murano Street Student Village
- Kelvinhaugh Residences
- Queen Margaret Residences
- Student Apartments
- Maclay Residences
- Wolfson Hall
- Lister House
- Dumfries Residences
The Peer Support Programme provides a confidential student-led listening service, allowing students to talk and share their problems and receive support from trained Peer Wellbeing Supporters. Some of the issues people come to Peer Support to talk about include: anxiety, stress, isolation and loneliness, dealing with change, relationship problems, homesickness, financial stress, academic concerns, etc.
- Book an appointment: gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/peersupport/book/
The University Chaplain welcomes all students, offering pastoral care and a calm space at the heart of campus. A Chaplain is someone independent you can talk to in confidence, who can provide support and advice at times of stress and crisis. They are also available to help explore spirituality.
If you have a chronic mental health condition you can register with the University's Disability Service. While they cannot directly help with your mental health, they can ensure that appropriate support is arranged for you during your time at UofG.
- Look after yourself campaign: glasgowunisrc.org/representation/campaigns/look-after-yourself
- Advice centre: glasgowunisrc.org/advice/health-and-wellbeing
- Mind your mate & emotional resilience workshops: glasgowunisrc.org/opportunities/workshops
- Nightline: glasgowunisrc.org/services/nightline
- GUSA Buddy system: gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/sport/gusa/support/buddysystem
- GUSA x LTF (formerly starfish group): gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/sport/gusa/support
- Elephant in the room campaign: qmunion.org.uk/elephant
- Call 116 123
- Call 0800 83 85 87 (Mon-Thu 6pm-2am, Fri 6pm-Mon 6am)
- Use your glasgow university email to sign up for free: togetherall.com/en-gb
- Register with a GP: gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/students/safetyhealth/healthservices/#registerwithadoctor
- NHS24: Call 111 or visit nhs24.scot
- NHS Inform mental health self-help guides: nhsinform.scot/self-help-guides
Other resources & services
- Read Next
- GSL Index Post-arrival survey now live! Student Apartments goes Ghostbusting The Wolfson Horror Picture Show Halloween at Maclay: Pumpkin Carving & Movie Night QMR's Movie Meltdown: Halloween Special Maclay Monthly Games Night Mental Health Resources IRN-BRU Energy Maclay Residences Weekly Update - 22nd October Join your residence on social media
- Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Street 360 Degree Image Gallery Lister House 360 Degree Image Gallery Winton Drive Winton Drive 360 Degree Image Gallery Queen Margaret Residence 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Gate 360 Degree Image Gallery Murano Street Student Village 10 ways to make halls feel like home Student Apartments 360 Degree Image Gallery