Cookie Consent by
girls drinking coffee


Mental Health Resources

By CGordon 10 Oct 2021

We've put together a list of services and resources to use if you or someone you know needs help for their mental health.

If you need immediate help

If you're worried that you, or someone you know, may be a danger to themselves or others then please seek help immediately by calling 999. You can also call the University Crisis Team in a crisis situation on 0141 330 4444, however if you require the emergency services as well you should call them first.

University Services

Counselling & psychological service

CaPS is a service designed to help students with mild to moderate needs to manage their mental health. They offer focused blocks of therapy, subject to assessment, and single session consultations for listening to specific issues. Their website also has links to self-help resources and other relevant mental health services.

Living Support

If you live in UofG accommodation you have access to your Living Support Team, who can provide a listening ear, are trained in Mental Health First Aid, and can help signpost you to services that are relevant to you. They're on call from 6pm to 8am on weekdays, and 24 hours at weekends.

Peer wellbeing support

The Peer Support Programme provides a confidential student-led listening service, allowing students to talk and share their problems and receive support from trained Peer Wellbeing Supporters. Some of the issues people come to Peer Support to talk about include: anxiety, stress, isolation and loneliness, dealing with change, relationship problems, homesickness, financial stress, academic concerns, etc.

Interfaith chaplaincy

The University Chaplain welcomes all students, offering pastoral care and a calm space at the heart of campus. A Chaplain is someone independent you can talk to in confidence, who can provide support and advice at times of stress and crisis. They are also available to help explore spirituality.

Disability service

If you have a chronic mental health condition you can register with the University's Disability Service. While they cannot directly help with your mental health, they can ensure that appropriate support is arranged for you during your time at UofG.

Student Unions

Students' Representative Council

Glasgow University Sports Association

Queen Margaret Union

External services


  • Call 116 123

Breathing Space

  • Call 0800 83 85 87 (Mon-Thu 6pm-2am, Fri 6pm-Mon 6am)


NHS services

Other resources & services