Moving out of halls?
It's time to start getting your things together, tidying your room and packing up to move out...
Moving out of halls can be stressful (and emotional), so we're going to help you the best we can!
To help you avoid any additional cleaning charges, we have all the hacks you need to leave your accommodation clean and tidy:
- Leave your bedroom spotless
This is pretty obvious BUT make sure all surfaces are wiped down, the floor is vacuumed/mopped and that anything that was issued to you at the start of your stay is left clearly visible in the right place.
- Blow-dry any stickers
When removing pictures and posters, be very careful that you don't leave any marks. If you have used any adhesive stickers, use a hairdryer to warm up the adhesive before you pull it off to make them easier to remove.
- Plan a team tidy up
It's a good idea to plan with your flatmates how, and when, you'll tackle your communal areas. Some people may be leaving earlier than others and you don't want to be the one left to clean everything on your own!
- Don't leave anything behind
Make sure the fridge/freezer is cleared out, as well as all your bins and personal items. You don't want to leave rubbish behind and get charged for something as silly as forgetting to take your bins out.
- Give your microwave some TLC
We all hate doing it but if you want to save a few extra quid, it's got to be done. The easiest way to get rid of the food splatters is by putting a bowl that's half water and half white vinegar in the microwave for 5 minutes. The steam breaks down the dirt so all you have to do is wipe it down.
- Have you drained the drains?
There's a pretty high chance you haven't done this or even thought about it, so just combine baking soda and vinegar and pour it down your drain. Leave it for about an hour or more and then flush it down with hot water - easy!
If you want to really go for it, here are some serious cleaning quick-fixes:
- Toothpaste is handy when it comes to polishing a mirror and keeping your trainers nice and clean.
- Have you used a sock as a mop before? Get yourself an old (non-woolly) pair, spray some floor cleaner and dance around. Nobody said cleaning had to be a chore...
- If you've got any Coca-Cola lying around, use it to clean the toilet. Just simply pour and flush.
Remember, leave your accommodation how you found it or even better. Happy tidying!
- Read Next
- Student Apartments and Lister House Weekly Update (18 June) Maclay Residences FAQs Living Black at University - share your experience Queen Margaret Residences Weekly Update (24 May) Parking at Murano Street Who to contact if you're in distress Unwanted fire alarm incidents - Did you know? Do you feel safe on campus? Sanctuary Students' Recipes Vol.1 and Vol.2 UofG Sport Active Lifestyle Programme
- Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Street 360 Degree Image Gallery Lister House 360 Degree Image Gallery Winton Drive Winton Drive 360 Degree Image Gallery Queen Margaret Residence 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Gate 360 Degree Image Gallery Applications for 2021/2022 now open! Murano Street Student Village Student Apartments 360 Degree Image Gallery