The stresses of university can sometimes get too much and taking some time out to enjoy yourself and clear your head is important. This is where my blog comes in, I've found the perfect day trip that's not only budget-friendly but will get you wondering why you hadn't explored sooner!
Saika's Blog: Dumbarton Castle day trip
Dumbarton Castle rated as 4.5 by TripAdvisor and is only 12.5 mile from the Glasgow, Hillhead. Dumbarton Castle is one of the best places for a day trip as it is budget-friendly. It's open from Saturday to Wednesday so on a sunny Saturday a few weeks ago I decided I would go and find out what it had to offer...
I started my journey from the Hillhead subway. Then I got off at the Partick station where I bought a round ticket of Scotrail, from Partick to Dumbarton East station. It took me around 25-35min to reach Dumbarton East station and from the Dumbarton East station, it only took me a 7-10 min walk to the castle, so not far at all. I reached Dumbarton Castle by 10.45am and I bought the ticket from the visitor centre which is located at the second level of the castle, you won't miss it.
The view offered from the 240ft high is breath-taking. Although you have to conquer 500 stairs to reach the top it was definitely worth it and just think, on the way back it's all down hill - easy! The entire town can be seen from the top of the castle. There is a football field beside the castle which is Dumbarton FC and there is a souvenir shop at the visitor centre if you wanted to buy anything as a reminder of your day trip.
After visiting Dumbarton Castle, I believe that the real beauty of nature can neither be captured nor described; it only could be felt.
So, what are you waiting for?! Explore Dumbarton Castle!
- Hillhead-Partick by Subway: £3.30 (Return)
- Partick-Dumbarton East by Scotrail: £4.90 (Return)
- Ticket Price for Dumbarton Castle: £6.00 (Adult)
Blog by: Saika
- Read Next
- Tell us about your accommodation experience and win great prizes! Fitness fads to avoid Are you being safe online? Saika's Blog: Dumbarton Castle day trip Eva's Blog: Saving your wallet (and the environment) Eva's Blog: How to be the best flatmate The Big Brave – Find Your Career Inspiration Emma's Blog: Settling in at UofG Saika's Blog: A tour to remember at Clydeside Distillery Where are the Student Support Services at the University of Glasgow?
- Today's Menu Food for Thought Today's Menu In One A The Square Are you being safe online? Saika's Blog: Dumbarton Castle day trip Where are the Student Support Services at the University of Glasgow? Fitness fads to avoid Become a Living Support Assistant! Eva's Blog: Saving your wallet (and the environment) Eva's Blog: How to be the best flatmate The Big Brave – Find Your Career Inspiration