Cookie Consent by


Student Apartments FAQs

By Scampbell 09 Aug 2021

How close in the Residence to the University?

Student Houses are situated on campus on Hillhead Street and Gibson Street. They are only a two minute walk from the Main University Building. Student Flats on Southpark Terrace are also only a two minute walk away.

What is the emergency contact number?

During normal office hours, Monday- Friday 9am- 5pm, please phone the Student Apartments’ office on 0141 330 6182. Outside these hours all areas have Living Support Assistants and security staff at the Gatehouse on University Avenue can be contacted on 0141 330 4282.

Is there anyone available out of office hours?

Living Support Assistants and security staff (see above).

Can I look around a typical room before I decide to accept?

As the accommodation is let all year round it is not always possible to show prospective residents a typical room. During certain times we can take people round the common areas. Contact the Student Apartments’office to arrange a suitable time. You can also view photos of rooms online. Please visit: http:// for more information.

Are there shops nearby?

Student Apartments are very close to Byres Road, Great Western Road & Gibson Street where there are shops, banks, restaurants, etc.

What am I responsible for cleaning?

Your own bedroom in all Student Apartments and communal areas in Student Flats. In the larger Student Houses a cleaning service is provided Monday– Friday for communal toilets and showers, kitchen surfaces and floors. Areas must be kept tidy for this service to be carried out. All residents in Student Apartments are responsible for making a constructive effort to keep their accommodation clean and tidy by taking the rubbish and recycling out and doing their own dishes.

Does the Residence have cooking facilities?


What laundry facilities are provided?

We have laundry facilities on site. Costs vary according to what cycle you choose & are paid via app/card.

Are cooking utensils and crockery supplied?

Not in Student Houses but basic crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils are provided in Student Flats.

Can I bring my bike?

We do not have secure storage areas for bikes within Student Apartments but you can use the cycle stands at the University Library nearby.

Is there a carpark for the Residence?

No, parking is very difficult and permits for street parking are expensive.

Is there Wi-Fi in the Residence?


Can I bring my own TV?

Yes, you can bring your own TV but you must obtain your own TV licence. See for more information.

What is the surrounding area like?

Student Apartments are very close to the University Library and other University Buildings as well as the Student Unions, Stevenson Sport Building, Byres Road, the Botanic Gardens and Kelvingrove Park.

Do I need to take everything out of my room during the winter and spring vacations?

No, not if you have a contract to June 2022 or longer.

Can my friends stay overnight?

Please refer to the Accommodation Services Overnight Guest policy and procedure. Please note that overnight guests are not permitted during Freshers' Week and Arrivals Weekend.

What happens if I lose my keys?

You should contact staff at the Student Apartments’ office as soon as possible. A new set of keys will be issued and you will be invoiced accordingly. The cost of a replacement set of keys will be £25.

Do I need to do remember to do anything else before moving in?

You are required to complete the quiz which is part of the e-induction.

Can I arrive before the start of my contract?

Yes if accommodation is available. Once you have accepted your offer you will be able to request preterm accommodation via your accommodation profile.

Also see
Students arriving before the start of the accommodation contract cannot be guaranteed accommodation

and you may be required to find alternative accommodation before the start date of the contract. Accommodation will be available from 4pm on your arrival date.

Can I extend my stay over the summer vacation?

Yes, normally information is emailed to you during the 2nd term. Please note it may not be possible to accommodate you in the same room so you may need to move to a different room.

Are there medical facilities nearby?

Yes, Barclay Medical Practice is located in the Fraser Building on campus and other practices are located within a short walk of Student Apartments.

What are the fire regulations?

Please see our residence guide but for the avoidance of doubt:

Smoking is not permitted inside the buildings, including smoking out open windows. Electronic cigarettes are also not permitted within the buildings.

Cooking should not be left unattended.
Don’t wedge open fire doors at any point.
Candles, incense and other open flame items are not permitted within the buildings.

Is there anything else that it would be useful for me to bring?

Bedding and bed linen will be provided but you should bring any other personal items you will need and towels as we do not supply these.

If you are an overseas student please ensure any adaptors or other electrical equipment you are bringing conforms to UK standards and is marked with the British Standard (BS) or CE standard. Adaptors that do not meet the standard cannot be used.

What happens to my mail/parcel/delivery?

Mail is delivered to individual addresses.

How do I pay my accommodation fees?

Your accommodation fees are paid via the University student system MyCampus. Please see the MyCampus website for further information.

Also see:

Scampbell profile picture

Scampbell is part of the Accommodation Services team.
View All Posts